Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Believe?

Nothing much happened today either. Went to Clementi to collect my lenses in the afternoon. Was supposed to go to SP to play soccer after that but I didn't go cause I was scared that my strain my get worse especially since I'm leaving so soon.

Being raised up in Singapore can either be seen as a damn good thing or a damn bad thing. Personally, I feel it's a bad thing but not a damn bad thing. If you're raised in Singapore then the priority in your life would definitely be education unless you really refuse to care about it. I believe that education is important but I also feel that Singapore over emphasizes on education too much. I feel that it's a bad thing to do that but in actuality it may not be that bad a thing. It has a super low failure rate of degrading our society in the sense that most of the people who are in the society would be really uncivilized. That's not a bad thing but I just feel that too many sacrifices have been made. I mean if someone is really talented in music but is raised in Singapore, he/she will most probably be a degree holder and would get a job in the future playing music only as a part time thing or as a hobby. Whereas if he/she were raised in for example America they would most probably be a full time musician. Can you imagine Taylor Swift having to study like 5 hours a day worrying about how to pass her 'A' Levels? I'll bet she practices singing and guitar like for more than 5 hours a day. Would Messi be where he is today if he had to go through our curriculum? With our system you'll only be able to produce 1 Stephanie Sun out of so many people but look at other countries. I'm not saying education is not important but just that if you're really talented at something you should be able to focus on that talent whereas if you're not really talented then go ahead and study hard. In Singapore do you get such a choice? No.. You (the one reading this) could be really talented at something but you're most probably stuck in a school still trying to work your way for that certificate that you're studying for. Are you truly happy doing what you're doing? But as I said earlier the way Singapore does things is a sure way of making the country progress which is ok in the eyes of many but not that ok in my eyes. You can see this with your own eyes. In America there are so many people talented in singing like all those singers you see. In terms of soccer, Spain, England, Argentina, Portugal all has their own set of stars. In Singapore we got Stephanie Sun (Yay... do you even listen to her?) and in terms of sports we got Lionel Lewis. I won't count the table tennis gals cause they are from a foreign land. Get what I mean?

No comments: